Monday, June 28, 2010

Snappy Top

I found a free pattern for this Snappy Top at Prudent Baby. It is sized for 12-18 months, but somehow it fits my 7 month old. She's not huge either - she only weighs 15 pounds - about the 25th percentile . . . so hopefully this will fit her for a long while then. I used yellow eyelet fabric, and since that was a bit see-through, I lined it with a white linen - which meant I had to tweak the instructions a bit. And I had to cut 2 of each the front and back of the shirt.
Instead of sewing bias tape around the arm holes, I just attached the lining to the shirt at the arm holes and turned it right side out and pressed it. So the side seams are sewn on each piece separately and the lining is only connected to the shirt at the arm holes and the neck.

My only issue with the instructions was it didn't say how far to put the neck of the body up and inside the collar piece. So I put it all the way in and tried it on her and that was squeezing her arms like sausage links - so I unpicked it and then lined it up along the open edge instead.
Other than that, the pattern and instructions were very easy to follow. This shirt went together really fast. And I love how it turned out. I'm already digging through my fabric stash to see what else to use and make more of these. You can even add to the length and make it a dress - so that will probably be my next one.
Oh, and thanks Mom for the green snaps! I'm borrowing her snap setter and snap stash - which technically means I'm using a few of them since she has some awesome colors.

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I love eyelet fabric, alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried turning one of my old knit shirts into a dress using this pattern, and I got stuck on the neckline part, too. It was really frustrating since the knit is super soft and hard to work with anyway and trying to squeeze it all in was not working well. I gave up on it, but I might have to go back and try it again.

    I love how yours turned out. And I love the idea of using a lining...definitely a faster wasy to finish the armholes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty! I love the eyelet fabric. It reminds me of my grandma's curtains! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, the little shirt is adorable! great job. But, the cutest part is baby girl. She is darling in the pictures!!!!! I think she likes her new shirt. And you know I have a love affair with eyelet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is one cute, pinchable chubaluv cheeked little one!

    ReplyDelete