Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baseball Banner

I made this banner for a friend's baby shower.  She's decorating his room in sports theme, so I thought it would be a great decoration for the baby shower and his room.  I decided to make it out of fabric instead of paper so that it would have a longer life.

Here's what I did:
  • The white fabric was canvas and the blue was a soft type of denim - I wanted it to have some stability and I wouldn't have gotten that with standard cotton
  • I traced a bowl to get the circle shape, and then slid the bowl to each side to trace the line where I wanted the red stitches to go
  • I used embroidery floss to hand stitch the baseball lines
  • I used wonder under to applique the letters and stars and top stitched around the edge of the letters
  • Each baseball and pennant has a back side that I top stitched to the front to hide the stitching on the back of it
  • Before I sewed the backs to the fronts, I pinned the twine in place and then sewed through it when I stitched the backs and fronts together.
It was fun to make this, I may end up making another one to match my son's room.  I love how it turned out.

1 comment: