Monday, August 15, 2011

Toddler Apron and Chef Hat

My daughter is getting a bunch of dress up stuff for Christmas, so I got an early start on some since I'll be making them and don't want to keep it all till the night before and drive myself crazy.

I was looking for a cute apron pattern (but not girly since my son would be using it too) that would work on a toddler.  But I mostly found child ones that seemed sized for a 10 year old or older.  So I just made my own sizing, but used this tutorial. (The tutorial is a PDF, so you have to scroll down the right side and find the button for "classic apron" tutorial since I can't link directly to it)  I picked this one cause it had "D rings" on the neck strap, and I liked the polished look it gave.  And I absolutely love this fabric - I found it at JoAnns.
Anyway, I had to shrink the pieces to work on an 18 month old but still last for a few years.  The length I used was 19" from top to bottom and 17" wide at the bottom.  The top was 7.5 inches wide with a length of 13" from the armpit down.  I did make the straps 20" long instead of 22" as well.  As you can see, it's a little big on my daughter, but it fits wonderfully on my 3 year old son.  So we should get plenty of years of wearing time out of it.
The chef's hat was tricky to make since I didn't want to put bias tape around the edge.  I just doubled the height of the band and folded it in half to get the clean edge to it.  Other than that, I followed the tutorial on that one pretty close.

2 comments:

  1. Do you want to know my favorite thing about this blog??

    The fact that once your kiddos outgrow many of these cute things, then you can pass them down to Adam!

    :)

    I love having such a crafty sis-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great!!! I love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete